Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Love Of Books

I am sure every parents loves to watch their little ones flipping pages of picture books and cuddling up for a good story- I certainly do! Reading to Maddie has been something we have enjoyed doing together since she was born and I am thrilled to have a little girl so engaged in books. Of course picture books can get old quickly though. Real quickly. Especially when it's the same favorite book over and over again.

A few weeks ago we rented Ramona and Beezus for our Friday night family movie and Maddie fell in love. She begged to watch the movie over and over again! I felt that this could possibly be my shot at introducing a new type of book to Maddie. I quickly explained that Ramona and Beezus is actually a book, well not just one book but lots of books and that they were books that I enjoyed reading when I was a little girl. 

Well now! The little miss was intrigued for sure but now it was time to break the news- not so many pictures and definitely not in color. Maddie didn't seem to mind though so I downloaded Beezus and Ramona onto my Kindle with hopes that Maddie be willing to sit and listen. 


This kid is hooked! Within a few days we breezed through Beezus and Ramona and she continued to ask me to read it over and over again. I have to admit I was rather shocked that she was willing to sit and actually listen. She asked questions and we talked about the big words that she wasn't familiar with and if daddy wasn't around when we read she jumped at the chance to to relay Ramona's adventures from the day.


This week we started Ramona the Pest and just to see if Maddie really was paying attention we talked about the first book before we began. Crazy enough the kid remembered everything and couldn't wait to find out what kind of trouble Ramona would be getting in this time around!

Of course we haven't put down the pictures books just yet but has been awfully nice to introduce Maddie to a whole new world of reading!

What are your favorite books to read with your kiddos? Do you have a favorite from your childhood you can't wait to share?

4 comments:

Michelle said...

OOoohh I loved all the Ramona books when I was little...I can't wait to read them with Emily!!

Goose and Bug said...

I still have all of my older brothers Ramona books that he passed to me when I was little. I can't wait to read them with my girls! My big series was The Baby-Sitters Club. I have a whole storage tub of them I'm saving for my girls.

Heidi said...

How fun! I LOVED the Ramona books as a kid, and I recently rented the Ramona and Beezus movie, to watch by myself...{hanging head in shame} it did not disappoint! LOL

Leah said...

for me it's swiss family robinson and sign of the beaver...i've already read the children's version of swiss family robinson to her and she loved it! adn we're currently reading an indian book so i think we'll start sign of the beaver sooN!