Monday, August 3, 2009

Crafty Chaos

I don't know about you but craft supplies has taken over my home. I have one cabinet in my kitchen that is solely devoted to craft supplies along with a rolling cart in the closet and a few small photo box bins of crafty odds and ends in our office. I desperately try to keep the kitchen cabinet organized but either I have tiny little elves that like to mess it up or I have a little you know who named Madison that sneaks in there and messes it all up!

Don't get me wrong I know it is great that Maddie has access to all the craft supplies and it is supposed to foster her independence and creativity but she is messssssyyyyy. There was the one day that I got out of the shower to find that she repainted my coffee table, cue mommy meltdown! Thank goodness 90% of Crayola products are washable! Or how about the ever present fine dusting of glitter. It would appear that my darling sweats glitter, but I think the real reason I find it everywhere is she is hiding a secret stash of it somewhere!

Nonetheless all the crafty bits have been getting to me and I can't stand messes and that's all I have right now. But I do have a sort of (I am really using sort of very liberally here) empty closet upstairs. It currently contains items that either need to go in Maddie's room or have been removed from Maddie's room and haven't found a proper home.

The Mission:
  • Clean out previously described closet
  • Gather and reorganize all craft supplies
  • Neatly re-stock said closet with craft supplies

Well I spent all morning gathering, reorganizing, stocking, stacking, yelling, and tossing. I think I may finally have a solution to the mess.

My only doubt about this working is that now everything is upstairs but we do our art projects downstairs. Hmmm. My solution (fingers crossed) my giant pink tray that I only use once a year for our summer party! I am thinking that I can use the pink tray and a small muffin tin to gather any supplies we need for our project and bring downstairs only what we need.

The best part of this whole redo? Now I can lock the supplies away! Maybe this will keep those pesky elves from constantly making a mess!

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Hahahaha! I was just looking at my own mess this morning. Great job organizing! I love how you used jars to organize small pieces of things.

Our Little Family said...

I think it looks GREAT! I recently got the organizing bug and went straight to Ikea. Hehehe. I also have a tiny elf so things needed to be, to an extent, put up a bit. And, love the idea of using the tray or muffin tins to bring down supplies. Most of my stuff is in the garage now, and I'll totally have to use that idea (instead of running out a bazillion times a day).

Sheena said...

I love to organize so I can totally relate to this post. I don't know if I've ever commented before, but I've gotten some great ideas from your blog.

I have some awards for you on my blog.
The link is:
http://turningordinaryintoextraordinary.blogspot.com/2009/07/my-firstand-second-award.html