Yup we made toilet paper flowers and they are just adorable! Okay some of them were made with paper towel tubes but some were made with toilet paper tubes too. I stumbled upon this adorable idea in the latest edition of Kiwi magazine and thought it would be a perfect project for Maddie and I to work on during our very rainy week.
I assembled all of the flowers before Maddie and I started the project so all she had to worry about was painting her flowers. Armed with the giant bucket of acrylic paints we set to work. Maddie was in charge of the flowers while I painted bamboo skewers green for the stems.
Ack! Can you tell why I am not a fan of breaking out the paints! There is ALWAYS a mess.
Later in the day after all the globbed on paint dried I hot glued the flowers on to the skewers and Maddie matched buttons with each flower for me to glue on too.
Maddie decided our flowers NEEDED bees so I quickly whipped up some small clay bees that she also painted. We used Pluffy clay and before I baked the bee bodies I left indentations for the button wings so that I would have no problems gluing them on after the fact.
We assembled our flower pots in some Target Dollar Spot pails I had leftover from Maddie's 2nd birthday party. I used some of our sensory rice to help keep the flowers standing in the bucket too. Adorable!
Flower Assembly Per Kiwi Magazine:
Flatten the paper tube and cut into 3/4 inch strips. To make the flower petals, open six (we did five) of the flattened cardboard strips into ovals. Glue the bottom half of the petals together into a flower shape (I used hot glue), leaving a space between two of them for the stem.