Saturday, July 11, 2009

Dollar Decorations

Maddie's birthday party will be here in no time so I have been getting all of the party supplies ready. We are having her party at the local community center this year so we are doing minimal decorating yet I still want it to be pretty for Mad.

I recently found the Martha Stewart Tissue Paper Pom-Pom tutorial and fell in love! They reminded me immediately of this giant paper flower I got YEARS ago at Busch Gardens. The flower sat in my room forever and I thought it was the coolest thing! After realizing how super cheap and easy these are to make I set to work. Generally I have tons of tissue paper in the house but a recent run in crafting projects has lowered the inventory so we headed to Walmart for some $1 packages. I let Maddie pick out 4 colors of her choice and I was thrilled that I had matching pipe cleaners at home to secure them with.

I am thrilled with how these turned out and will definitely be filing this idea away for future parties. How cute would they be as decorations and party favors for a girly garden party!

My other awesome dollar bargain were these ice cream cone cups from the Dollar Tree. I have had a heck of a time finding ice cream decorations this year and was pleasantly surprised to find these. Now the questions is what do I do with them? hmmm. I was thinking of maybe using them to hold the cutlery at the party.

Any ideas? They would make great party favors but I'm not doing any this year because we really don't have any children coming. Bummer I know. Maddie's at that age right now where we are still doing family parties since she isn't in school yet and she is the youngest in the family. So I will gladly take any suggestions you have for these cute little cups! Thanks!

1 comment:

April said...

Hi, I just came across your site from cafe mom. What I did with this, you get your hot glue gun, foam ball to fit inside & glue tootsie rolls, smarties ect to the ball. Get a red sort of candy & glue it to the top to look like a cherrie. Use a toothpick by poking it in on one side then cutting a straw to fit it and stick it on. Now you have a candy sundae. I use to make & sell these.