Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Call On Me

Over the past few months I have seen a few articles in my parenting magazines about calling cards. I have seen both cards for the mommy and cards for the kiddo and I have been thinking about jumping on this new (?) fad.

I tend to be a rather shy when first meeting people but I don't want my personal short comings to distract from Madison having friends. Maddie on the other hand is an absolute social bug! She meets 'friends' EVERYWHERE we go! A few weeks ago we were at the pet store and Maddie tagged along with another little girl the entire time we were in the store and they even had to give each other hugs when it was time to leave. Of course if I was a super mommy I would have shared contact info right then and there with the other mama but I shyly smiled and scurried Maddie out the door.

So I have been thinking about this mommy calling card thing and think it may just help. I have found a TON of them online as inspiration but will probably make my own. I have seen a few different styles but the basics would include my name as 'Amanda mommy to Madison' with my cell phone number and e-mail address. The other ones I have seen also include the places we like to play like the local playground and any child friendly places we have memberships to like the Children's Museum.

Do you have mommy calling cards? Do they help you make playdates for your kiddos?

5 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

we don't have mommy calling cards but i had a mom make one when i was the lead infant teacher and it was in her bag it was handy when we needed to call her ASAP. cuz we didn't have to grab her file and look up the info it was right there.

Georgine said...

Before we had B, my husband and I had calling card. Basically, cards with our names, home address, home phone, cell phones and emails. I need to get more because our emails have changes. The cards are nice because you can just whip out a card instead of scrounging for a piece of paper and a pen. I guess I need to look for some new cards. Thanks for he reminder.

Laura said...

Hmm, that's a really good idea. I'm shy as well when it comes to meeting moms. Like Maddie, my girls are big time social butterflies. I think I will have to look online myself. Thanks for the idea. If you have any good websites, I'd love to check them out.

Briar said...

I found some great cards... at really outrageous prices. I think I'll probably design my own and print them out on cheap Avery cardstock.

But this is a great idea! Because we homeschool, my daughter often makes friends on the fly, and never sees those people again. If she had a card (the idea of my eight year old with a business card is funny, but still) she might get to see those kids again. Thanks for sharing!!!

Heidi @ Happiness is Homemade said...

We used to have mommy calling cards when we lived at our old house, but since we moved and changed numbers I haven't gotten any new ones. They were really kind of nice, even though some people might think they're a little over the top. I ordered mine from Vistaprint. If you do a quick Google search you should be able to find a free business card offer (you just pay shipping), and there were plenty of designs that would work for kids' cards :)