Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Celebrate Books!


May 11- May 17, 2009

"The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."
- Dr. Seuss, "I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!"


As a child I adored a good book and my love of books continued as I got older. I hoped that my love of books would rub off on Madison and from the looks of it she loves a good book just as much as me. Before I go to sleep at night I have to sneak in her bedroom and unearth her from the bound of books that she fell asleep reading. She spends the day reading her 'stories' and we can't go into a store without buying a new book. We take frequent trips to the library and Maddie enjoys browsing the shelves just as much as me!

In honor of Children's Book Week I though I would share some of our favorite children's books.



Fancy Nancy
- Jane O'Connor
This one is just a given, Maddie is the epitome of Fancy! We own most of the Fancy Nancy series and are greatly looking forward to the new releases this year.

Tummy Girl
- Roseanne Thong
Tummy Girl ended up being Maddie's birthday book last year. We borrowed it from the library and fell in love with the little girl with curly hair. I recommend this book to any and every little girl!

Peanut Butter And Jellyfishes: A Very Silly Alphabet Book (Millbrook Picture Books)
- Brian P Cleary
Oh my! Whenever we read this book Maddie is always giggling! She says it is just 'so silly mom!' and I have to agree. A super silly alphabet book sure to entice some giggles!

Parts
-Tedd Arnold
Sure the thought (and image) of skin falling off is a little icky but it's rather silly too. I feel for the poor little boy who thinks his body is falling about and there clearly isn't enough tape to keep him together. We enjoy listing all of the body parts as we read this fun story.

Princesses Rule! Three Not-So-Typical Princess Stories
-Carmela LaVigna Coyle
Each of these stories is available individually or you can by a combined book at Borders. Maddie loves that the princess in the stories is able to be girly and still get muddy!

Because Your Daddy Loves You
-Andrew Clements
This book is a daddy only read in our house. Maddie loves to curl up with Brandon and read about the perfect trip to the beach with lost beach balls, sandy ice cream and piggy back rides from daddy.

Port Side Pirates
-Debbie Harter
This book also comes with a singalong CD that we keep in the car. Daddy is a Navy guy so any book with a ship is a winner for him! The story is adorable and Maddie loves pretending to be a pirate when we read it. At the end of the book is a wonderfully detailed ship illustration that labels all the oh so important ship parts.


No comments: