Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Playdough FAIL


Goodness gracious. I don't know why I do this to myself but I do. I was so excited to help Madison make Valentine's for her preschool class and we decided together that we were going to make some pink sparkly homemade playdough for her classmates. Why oh why did we decide this?!
Well I made my first mistake by trying a new recipe even though I knew I had to make enough playdough for 21 kiddos. Madison had lots of fun dumping ingredients and mixing but then everything went wrong.

The new recipe never firmed up. I tried adding more dry ingredients. I tried putting it on the stove like I do with my usual recipe. I dumped it on the counter hoping it would cool and I could knead it into a proper dough.

Fail. Fail. Fail. I ended up with a messy counter, broken spatula and big bowl of pink glittery mush.Well I had just enough ingredients left to whip up a TRIPLE batch of my regular playdough recipe.

Once again FAIL. Sort of. I don't know if it was because I tripled the recipe, or because I added raspberry extract but once again I had a big ole' mess. Thankfully I was able to salvage this batch!

Nonetheless the Big Pink Glittery Playdough Monster was not my friend yesterday.

After kneading the dough into submission it did look pretty all rolled out. I cut out 21 hearts for Mad's classmates.

Then I realized there was no way they would stay hearts in the transfer from home to school to home so I made blobs.

Hurray! Packaged and ready to go. Ignore the GIANT mess of a kitchen in the background. Of course as I sit here and type we are in the midst of a giant snow storm leaving Madison's Valentine's Day party only as a maybe since school may be canceled tomorrow. UGH.

3 comments:

Jacksmom726 said...

the little wrapped packages of playdough came out adorable!! I just wish I had all of the ingredients at home today to make some too! It would have been a great 'snow day' project!

Anonymous said...

Epic ROFLMAO!!!

pop-e

Stephanie said...

Your play dough looks really pretty, even if the project turned out to be much more difficult than you expected. I love it!