Sunday, March 25, 2012

In My Kitchen Volume 2

 I am not much of a drinker but lately I have been slightly taken with Skinnygirl margaritas poured over fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. It's AMAZING. The margaritas on their own are also delicious but way to strong for me so the extra grapefruit juice makes it perfect. Plus they are in season. Enjoy.

 Somewhere on the Internets I saw someone mention making canned cinnamon rolls in the waffle maker so we gave it a try last weekend. So easy, so good. Sure you don't get the ewwy gooey cinnamon center BUT they are made in minutes and perfect for snacking on in the morning. We tried it out with the orange cinnamon rolls and everyone loved them.

 Our new recipe for the week was corn cakes with tomato avocado relish from Annie's Eats. Delish. The baby devoured them and continued to snack on them throughout the week. I didn't have any fresh corn on hand so I went with frozen which worked just fine.

A tried and true favorite in our house is chicken cacciatore. I love Giada's recipe on the Food Network and actually make it they way she says EXCEPT I use skinless boneless chicken breasts. Everyone says chicken thighs are so full of flavor and what not but I just don't like them. Anyone this recipe is a winner and we make it often.

My Cooking Light magazine this month featured some butter roasted carrots and I can attest they are fantastic and super easy. They will be gracing our table for Easter dinner this year. 

  Now my excitement for this week. I can't remember where I first heard of Foodzie but that doesn't matter because I am hooked. Foodzie is a monthly box subscription where you get to choose one of 3 different boxes featuring a large variety of foods made by small-batch companies throughout the country for $29.95 (includes shipping). The products you receive are full size too, not the teeny tiny sample sizes. 

{I wasn't paid to try Foodzie, nor do I make any money or perks if you sign up. I am just in love and thought I would share!}
 For our first box I went with the Brooklyn box and everything was delicious. I am still snacking on these Z Crackers. They were great with goat cheese but I am out now so I have been munching on them with some Vermont cheddar. Still really good!

 I am still trying to decide if I want to buy more of this granola. (You can buy the products from your box at a discount price through Foodzie too.) It is fantastic and that's coming from a girl who doesn't generally do granola. I have been enjoying it for breakfast with sliced fruit and milk and it's soooo good.

 AND lastly for the week I did not make this shrimp but it's fabulous so I am sharing it with you. We went to our favorite Mexican restaurant for happy hour the other night and dined on margaritas, nachos and Mexican shrimp cocktail. So good. Regular shrimp tossed with a spicy cocktail sauce served over guacamole with tortilla chips. The description says the cocktail sauce features diced jalapeno peppers, cilantro, diced tomatoes and onions. I am definitely making it at home this week, I'll let you know how it comes out!

No comments: